Sunday, July 29, 2007

a proper note on my india trip

Ok, I am finally back home. Now a week after, I finally get hold of myself to write, sigh… what is there to write about? well, India, in short is a beautiful place, at least that is the way I perceive it…

On the day I stepped down from the plane, I was greeted by the driver, he smiled and sent me to the office. Oh, before that, the immigration officer, um… like usual all government servants are not friendly, you hardly get a smiling face when they are verifying your passport, so never mind…

So, on the way to the office, cows are everywhere, the roam the land, just like what HL told me… but I am fine with cows you know… it’s ok to see them everywhere… but I would like to tell you, the way the drive in India, man, it’s horrible! There is almost no traffic rules in existence, and the use the honking device to it’s maximum… cannot drive in silence for 5 minutes… and I also figured that the radio is not in use while driving, since you cannot hear anything, it’s only honking everywhere…

During the week days, it was plain working for me, no time to go anywhere, but I managed to go shopping on Saturday evening and Sunday. On Saturday, after work I told the driver to drop me in this place known as the new market, it’s pretty near the hotel I stayed in, so I went shopping for stuff, needless to say, I was a foreigner, and the reaped me off… what else is new? Paid a lot of money for some stuff, but never mind, got some pretty stuff too… for instance, I bought a green saree for myself… ha, I have no idea when I’ll wear it, but heck, I but it since it’s pretty… bought some shawls, shoes, tea leaves, bangles, anklets, and many more stuff…

On Sunday, I went to the Victoria memorial, lovely place, they won’t let us take photo inside, so I took a few snaps outside… met this 2 indian men, from Hyderabad, so they told me, they said “can u take a picture of us” and “we want the print out, so how can we get the print out?” in the end I emailed them, and they took a total of six pictures… it’s funny how they go on vacation without the camera, and then ask others to take photos for them… I know I won’t do that…

these are the two indian men i met outside victoria memorial...











After that I went to Salt Lake City Center, a nice shopping place, but is crowded with human… I should’ve just done my shopping here, at least it’s fixed price, and the prices are more reasonable, but never mind la… and I had my henna tattoo, they called it “mahndi” (if I spelled it correct), paid 100 rupees for it, pretty cheap tho’. Buy more stuff and then tired and all, went back to the hotel, content with all the purchasing that I’ve made…

The following Monday I had a different driver, so he took a different route to the office, but I quite like this new route, because there was a stretch where, you have horses feeding by the road side, and also some goats and sheep too…

So far, what I’ve written are about places, it’s nice and pretty there, but India is not really a nice place to be in, the people are poor, well, most of them are… food is scarce for the poor, and most of them still lives by the road side… in the morning, you can see people taking baths by the roadside… man, I thought those days are over… the gap between the rich and poor in India is very wide… the rich are rich rich, and the poor, hardcore poor… it’s sad to see children begging for money… the old has no place to stay, and they are so thin, it’s obvious they had nothing to eat… but I was warned that I am not suppose to give when they come begging because then, the whole bunch will swarm in and hope to get something off you… so in the end I didn’t give… but on the last day I was there, on my way to work, at the traffic light, a kid with a blind man came to beg at the window, and I figured since I am in a car, and the car will move, so even if I give, the rest won’t swarm in, so I gave… and you should look at the joy in their faces…

So, that’s all from me, about India, let’s hope my next trip is to a more pleasant country…
the victoria memorial, beautiful building, made of marble...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Boon San, went to India already? i'm so glad to hear and read you story...and sad too!

i'm moci. remember me?

silly me said...

off course moci, how can i forget my dearest room mate! the best i ever had!